Old February 25th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,str
Eric Greenwell

Default Noisy Mecaplex Window

wrote:
The Mecaplex sliding window on my ASW 24 emits a loud whistle while in
the closed position, at all airspeeds.
The noise can be made to go away if I press firmly outward at the
trailing edge of the sliding window.

If pressing at one or both of the rear CORNERS helps, as it does on my
window, a small rubber wedge can be used between the slider and the rail
to apply the pressure. I use a short piece of surgical tubing pressed
into the track at the lower corner on mine.

If you have to press on the center/rear of the slider to stop the noise,
re-curving (as others have suggested) it should work. If you botch the
re-curving, you'll need to replace it. Send a template of the canopy
curvature to the dealer, who can sort through his stock of sliders for
one that matches your canopy.

Years ago, Karl Striedieck told me that one of the good things about
being a sailplane dealer was he could always find the perfectly fitting
slider for his new glider!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes"