Old November 27th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default An animal so rare it may not exist . . .

wrote in message
ups.com...
Folks:

I have a rather irritating fuel line situation that has several
possible solutions, each more complicated and / or expensive than the
last. Specifically I need a remotely mounted fuel cutoff valve, but it
is so remotely mounted that the standard valve-on-a-long-ujoint
solution is not going to work (too much stuff in the way, too many
corners, etc.).

In discussing this with the local EAA guys, the tech counselors, and
even talking to the local FAA, they all look at the problem and
eventually say, "you know what you need is a solenoid."

Ok. My reply to them is that I understood that solenoid valves for
fuel control were deeply frowned upon unless you are Boeing. I am not
Boeing. Part of my understanding as to why solenoids are not a good
thing is that they will obviously have a fail-open or fail-closed
failure mode, either of which can be deadly depending on the nature of
a given situation.

However the local FAA guy told me that he has seen solenoid valves made
specifically for fuel applications that fail in place, i.e. if they
crap out the valve simply stays in it's last selected position.

.snippage..

Something like this?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...002072/c-10101

(cap the unused inlet)