Old January 5th 11, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

Default Final glide

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 02:49:09 +0100, cernauta wrote:

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/lo...t/2034360.aspx

It seems that the accident was the consequence of airbrakes unlocked.
The ASW22 pilot was performing a self-launch. Climb rate was
insufficient, and a wing tip hit a powerline.
The glider came to rest inverted, while Hi-T cables were lying by,
delaying the rescue of the poor pilot by nearly an hour.

Local pilots, under the initiative of spanish Pepe Gresa, I believe,
started an action to put some pressure on glider manufacturers, so
that they develop and implement some system to make these frequent
take-off mistakes a non-event. We should all strongly support this
initiative.

Karel Termaat imagined a very simple 3-Led warning system, based
around 2 proximity swithces and one pressure switch on the Ptot line.
http://home.wxs.nl/~kpt9/gear.htm

The Piggott Hook also can help prevent the airbrakes being sucked open
at take off.

aldo cernezzi
-
www.voloavela.it