Old January 5th 11, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Avoiding unlocked air brakes during the launch

On 1/5/2011 9:35 AM, cernauta wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 02:49:09 +0100, wrote:

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/lo...t/2034360.aspx

It seems that the accident was the consequence of airbrakes unlocked.
The ASW22 pilot was performing a self-launch. Climb rate was
insufficient, and a wing tip hit a powerline.
The glider came to rest inverted, while Hi-T cables were lying by,
delaying the rescue of the poor pilot by nearly an hour.

Local pilots, under the initiative of spanish Pepe Gresa, I believe,
started an action to put some pressure on glider manufacturers, so
that they develop and implement some system to make these frequent
take-off mistakes a non-event. We should all strongly support this
initiative.

Karel Termaat imagined a very simple 3-Led warning system, based
around 2 proximity swithces and one pressure switch on the Ptot line.
http://home.wxs.nl/~kpt9/gear.htm

The Piggott Hook also can help prevent the airbrakes being sucked open
at take off.

The 302 vario, and perhaps others, can do the same thing, if it is used
as the gear warning system. A loud tone alerts the pilot as the glider
accelerates past 25 knots if the airbrakes are unlocked. It works well
in my glider.

Additionally, a simple stop just behind the spoiler handle acts as a
Piggot hook. The stop is out of the way when the handle is rotated into
operating position.

And finally, my procedure to always lock the air brakes unless my hand
is on the handle, even if the glider is on the ground and I am not in
the cockpit.

email me)