Old January 7th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kev

Default Moderating r.a.p and r.a.s. Was: Absolute lowest altitude you can fly (legally)

Jim Logajan wrote:

Secondly, if the proposed moderated groups adopt charters similar in scope
to those for r.a.p and r.a.s then IMHO most of the posts by mxsmanic would
still be on topic, while a non-trivial number of the follow-up messages
others have posted in response appear to be off topic or inflammatory and
therefore subject to rejection. [...]

Indeed.

Twenty plus years ago I was a moderator on CompuServe. Before that,
one on a BBS. And yes, it's the few constantly non-informative and
derogatory writers here who would've been censored... not Mxsmanic, who
as you say at least posts on topic.

Google Groups has a useful option. You can easily click to see a
profile, which shows where else and what someone has posted. Often,
the insults to Mxsmanic come from people who are also nasty in other
groups, or from total newbies who (I assume) think they'll look cool if
they join in the insults.

Ironically, those who bash Mx the most about his lack of social skills,
are the same ones who just refuse to get that it's THEIR postings which
readers consider to be more annoying. They're told this over and over
again, from many sides, and yet they still don't get it. I am not
unsympathetic to their social ignorance, but I'm hoping they'll clue in
sometime soon.

Regards, Kev