Old December 3rd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Helicopter trailer

Peter: Thanks for the contact. I am sure not going to cheap out on the
trailer. I've got way too much time and money invested in the helicopter
and for sure don't want it wrecked due to a pitiful trailer.
Thanks again for the contact.
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
Is there anyone out there? I have been dissatisfied with my trailer that
I'm using to haul my 1,000 # helicopter around. It is basically a car
hauler that I've stripped the springs down to 1 1/2 leaves and put soft
car tires on it to make the ride a bit softer. Even with the reduced
springs, a 4,000 # car didn't bottom out the springs. I also want to be
able to fly on and off the trailer. In the desert this is a big dirt
avoider. With the reduced springs I have had 4 spring failures to date
and because it is always the trailing spring, it has just been a nuisance
and hasn't caused any damage. I've been thinking about designing my own
trailer using torsion bars that is designed just for the helicopter and
not a general case utility trailer.
I had a chance encounter with the president of Kendon Industries. This
company makes ATV and Motorcycle trailers. They are interested in
possibly pursuing a design for a trailer that could be used to haul the
helicopters and provide a soft ride. I'm attaching some of the points to
consider in hopes that someone out there might read this and have some
good ideas.
1. Function - land on or load the helicopter in some alternate way? (I'm
biased toward flying on and off with a winch backup)

2. Length - overhang or no overhang? (I want enough overhang for a blade
support structure. I tow with blades installed)

3. Weight capacity - 2,000 lbs? 3,000 lbs? More? (2,000 # limit would
suit me)

4. Accessories - boxes, winches, built in tie down straps and in what
locations, security system, etc? (I can handle this on my own)

5. Purpose - is this best to be a "helicopter-only" trailer, or should it
be appropriate for alternate uses? (I want a trailer designed
specifically for the helicopter)

6. Optimal price?(Less than $4k?)

7. Deck height limitations or preferences? (Accomodate at least a 14"
tire)

8. If we could accomplish most of the desired preferences, how likely
would you be to purchase such a trailer? (I want one and will design and
build my own if I can't find an acceptable one)

Other ideas???

Call Ken at Sun Aero Helicopters in Lansing, Illinois. He had one built
for the 206L to haul it to Nascar events. It's fit to the bird, with
supports for the MR blades to prevent flapping in transport, tie downs,
proper suspension, and lift to permit backing up the truck for hitching.

Ken can fill you in on the structural parameters, and operational
considerations.

My thoughts would be not to do this too cheaply. You've got a sizeable
investment in your aircraft. Cheaping out on the transport could be your
most expensive mistake.