Old May 23rd 20, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luc Job[_2_]

Default AOA indicator poll.

Hi Matt!

2) make the LED strip smaller. With the color scheme you have, the size seems too large, and makes install more challenging.

Latest desing of the remote led strip is a bar of 47 mm height and 10.2 mm width, 8.2 mm thick, plus a 10x3 mm protrusion in the middle for the connector... I will setup the website with a download section so that you can download a drawing soon. The smallest useable connector I have found has a 8x3 mm section (or 10x3), so you should drill 3 holes of 3.5 mm next to the other and finish with a small file... Or if you have room to put it behind the panel, the slit for the display should be 47x7 mm.

3) make the external ports easy to install, and modular. Perhaps there is a version that can be installed in the nose with the Pitot tube and the thermistor, and one for the belly as you have done. How small can the hoses be that go through the hull? would it work to mount on the side of the cockpit rather than underneath?

There is presently no protrusion or pass-through tubes in the installation.

The system uses the pitot + static ports already installed on any glider, plus this famous angled pressure port.

It's only a drilled hole similar to the static ports.

It has to be under the nose where the angle is sufficient and in front of any perturbation (for example if the front tow hook is under the nose). Then you have to glue a small cap inside the hull (like for the statics, I think), with the tube connected to it parallel to the hull. Total thickness inside can be as low as 5 mm if you use a 4 mm PU tube. On the DG, most of the outer hull isn't easily reachable from inside except where the canopy hinge fits when closed... I had more than enough clearance to put my port there and this is precisely where the hull angle is acceptable. I will make pictures of my setup and post on the website. (glideraoa.com)

This is the simplest and most reliable setup, but if it is really impossible to have the pressure port under the nose tip for some reason, then it is possible to design a customized profiled protrusion with a 45° flat area and the port hole on it... And place it somewhere else but where the flow is undisturbed and far enough from the hull and without possible interaction with the tow/winch rope... Best place could be under a wing, if you have access... But I'm afraid that the customized antenna will be more expensive than the instrument.

Let me know first on which glider it is impossible to set it up under the nose... The Stemme, maybe... If I have a demand, I will study a suitable antenna for it... No tow rope problem.

Putting the pressure port 'antenna' on the side of the fuselage will make it sensitive to sideslip and this has to be avoided.