Old May 23rd 20, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default AOA indicator poll.

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 3:52:21 AM UTC-7, Luc Job wrote:
Last update before I order the new PCB's:

1) Having tested last season without it and without problems I will drop completely the light sensor... I see no situation where it is really useful with the present display... The colors can be seen in any situation except maybe with the direct sunlight over the display, that means very low sun from behind and In this case it will be hard to beat the sun anyway.

In the opposite situation, with the sun facing you, a light sensor on the panel will be in the shade and reduce the led's intensity instead of increasing it to allow you to see the panel despite the facing sun... Bad...

For these reasons I will replace the light sensor with a rotary encoder so that you can adjust the light yourself if needed. And the push function of the encoder will be for calibration (it needs a quite long push to trigger the calibration routine).

What do you think?

Since you only have to calibrate once, please make the calibration button on a cable you can hold in your hand while you fly for that one flight. then it can be unplugged and never seen again.

47 x 10mm sounds reasonable for the display. Thanks

For the connector, you should only need 6 pins, yes? Why not hard wire a 6 conductor phone cable out the back of the display, with an RJ-11 phone connector on the end. Then if I want to make a small hole, I can cut the connector, feed the cable through, and crimp on another RJ-11 once through the panel.

I understand about the port mounting now, thanks. One further question; is the sensor at the port, or do you need to run tubing back to the PCB? Much easier to run a wire to the PCB than a tube...

Matt