Old September 15th 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default FLARM Technology for the US Gliding Community

On Sep 15, 8:34*am, M North wrote:
Regular FLARM units run on a frequency that is not permitted in the US.

I thought that they all operated on 868 MHz, in the SRD band. *Does
that band not exist in the US? *If the units imported into US use a
different frequency, then the rest of us should leave our FLARM at
home when visiting!

Flarm does not "all operate[ed] on 868 MHz". This is all handled
automatically by the device.

From the Flarm classic manual...

"GPS-controlled automatec frequency tuning: SRD-F-Band 868.0 to 868.6
MHz
(Europe/Africa), New Zealand 869.25 MHz, Australia around 921 MHz,
America around
915 MHz".

The 915 MHz in the USA is the ISM band. The automatic frequency
selection is just a really elegant feature that Flarm engineered into
their products. But again, its a matter of what is FCC approved to
enable a device to be legally sold and legally used in the USA.

Darryl