Old December 20th 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Curious incident :)

"Ramapriya" wrote in message
oups.com...
Paul Tomblin wrote:

Since when does smoke come of the tires of a plane starting its takeoff
roll? I can't think of any way that could happen.

My thoughts exactly.

Don't know about you but I've seen puffs come off aircraft tires, at
the start of the takeoff roll, often enough; it probably happens when
pilots advance the throttle a bit before releasing the brakes.

I've never seen that, nor even heard of it. The proposed explanation you
suggest certainly wouldn't do it. Smoke comes off the tires during
touchdown because of the speed difference between the tire and the pavement,
until the tire "catches up".

During takeoff, even if the brakes are held, and even if the tires slide a
bit (which is very unlikely...usually the locked wheels can hold the
airplane still), they wouldn't smoke. They'd just rub a bunch of rubber
onto the pavement.

If you saw smoke during the takeoff roll, it came from somewhere other than
the tires.

Pete