Old September 6th 04, 03:50 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Iwan Bogels" wrote in message
Well Dudley,

In that case you could have simply written: "I hate it when people

spread
aviation crash videos for other purpose than aviation safety issues".

It
would have saved you a lot of unnecessary discussion.

I don't believe you quite understand what's been happening here.
I have absolutely no problem at all with people downloading to their
heart's content from your site and viewing all the crash footage they
can cram onto their computers. I merely saw what you are doing and
posted a simple one line statement that expressed my personal feelings
for both you and what you do. To reiterate, that statement was "I detest
people like you". Everything that has transpired since then is simply
the usual result on Usenet of people reading a comment like that and one
by one,
checking in with totally irrelevant comment. I say irrelevant because
what they have to say is related to THEM, not to me. I took the trouble
to engage the posters I wished to engage dealing with the reasons I had
personally for "detesting you". This wasn't done to change anything, or
even change anyone's opinions; simply to expand for clarity on MY
feelings for what you do.
I'm a slightly different poster than the usual you will find on Usenet
because when I post, I'm not looking for agreement. Agreement isn't
important to me when it comes to Usenet. I post what pleases me. If
someone gains from what I say, that's fine. If they hate my guts and
want me dead, that's fine too. Couldn't care less either way.
So you see, all this fuss about crash video being good or bad is of no
consequence to me personally at all. I could care less who watches crash
videos and who photographs it and why.
By all means, push your video and enjoy your hobby.
It's quite humorous to me that this thread demonstrates in exact clarity
the total reality of Usenet.
You posted for your site......I posted that I detest people like you
(note that this statement doesn't even address the "why" question or the
video question)......then come the masses to opine with their own
"opinions" on the matter, none of which by definition can address why I
detest you, which is really funny to me........finally here we are
again, after all this expended bandwidth, right back at the beginning.
You have your site. They have their opinions. I still detest you.
Nothing solved.
Welcome to Usenet! :-)

As you will have understood, I see things a little differently. Having
witnessed a major aircraft crash in which 70 people got killed because

demonstration pilot misjudged the situation, I use it for other

purposes.

Bull****! You make no mention anywhere on your site of being even
remotely interested in the safety issues involved with our work but as
I've said, I'm not trying to change what you do. I simply detest what
you do.

I hope more people are willing to share their crash video footage with

me,
and I will continue to share it with other people via my website.
Furthermore I will keep announcing the video wepage at the newsgroups

where
people might have an extra interest in viewing my videos. That would

best
serve my personal purpose.

I'm sure you will, as I'm sure there will be no end of people who will
make your efforts worthwhile. No problem with me at all Iwan. Go for it.

People can download the videos at http://www.dappa.nl-crash.htm and

use it
for safety issues,

I'm sorry, but just the video alone without a corresponding report does
little to serve the safety issue. To serve the safety issue, video must
be viewed in an investigative context by people who know how to evaluate
that video. Putting crash video on the net for viewing by the general
public with no expert comment directed at the safety issues involved
with the crash does little but allow an uneducated replay of the crash.
If you are indeed interested in flight safety, I would expect that the
video from every crash you have ever shot had been turned over to crash
investigation immediately after the crash, or at least a copy made and
distributed immediately to proper investigative authority.
When you can show me that this has been done by you, I'll consider not
"detesting" you all that much. Until that point, you don't fit any
description of a photographer interested in flight safety at all. You're
just one more web site junkie pushing your wares to enhance your own
image as a photographer.

viewing pleasure, collecting purposes or whatever other
goal they have. I won't judge them for the reason they look at it.

I'm sure you won't, and I won't either. What people do is their own
business, even you Iwan. I just happen to detest you that's all; no big
deal....never was!! :-)
If this thread had any purpose at all, it has served to enlighten a few
to how we in the airshow community view the issue of crash video. For
some, that will have been interesting. For the rest, who cares. Surely
not me. I learned a long time ago that the way to change the world was
DEFINITELY not on Usenet!

Enjoy!

Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship