Old March 4th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smithcorp

Default Cloud type pictures

On Mar 4, 8:17 pm, Stephen wrote:
John Smith wrote:
BTW, the best book about cloud classification which I know is "The
Cloudspotter's Guide" (byhttp://www.cloudappreciationsociety.org). It
is really easy to read, but surprizingly exact. You my or may not like
the style, but it is the first book I've seen which takes you by the
hand and walks you through the cloud classification system, so that even
I finally think it's pretty obvious. The pictures are black and white
only, too, but it really doesn't matter in this book.

However all the pictures in the book are also in the gallery on the
Cloud Appreciation Society website. Buy the book for the words, look at
the pictures on-line.

Stephen

Thanks all for the suggestions - I've got a great deal of material
now. For others who may be interested, I also found on the NSW Bureau
of Meteorology site (why didn't i go there first?) a good primer:

http://www.bom.gov.au/info/clouds/ which is also available as a pdf.

cheers

smith