Old January 3rd 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

Default High altitude flutter - Vne

On Jan 3, 9:46*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Jan 2, 10:52 pm, Allan wrote:
Time to order your DuckHawk - 200 Kt Vne, 160 knot Va, 10.75 lbs/sqft -
just what you need for those high-speed wave flights!
But whats the L/D at 160 & 200 Knots? 10 & 5 ?

Allan

L/D? When the nose pushed down at 160 knots, crabbing into a 50+ knot
headwind and you've got +5 knots of up in wave you won't care...

I can't wait to see what magic Greg Cole pulls off with the Duck Hawk.

Darryl

That would be mighty strong wave to have you consistently going up at an
airspeed of 200 knots.

I've listened on channel 9 while a westbound United flight crew was
surprised they were climbing in
wave near Denver with a 160 kt headwind on the nose. Net speed had to
be well over 200kt and wing

The big problem with high altitude and wave flight is the constriction
of your flight envelope. At Minden, I
discovered ambudant ballast in a G-102 during a wave flight pre-take-
off check. Ship had been flown
the day before by a petite pilot (I'm about 200 lbs with wave flight
gear). Calculated my flight envelope at
the ballasted weight after the flight - not much between stall and
flutter.

Made me appreciate the A12 and U2 pilots who often had +/- 3 kts or
less [Shadow Flights by Curtis Peebles, pg 96].

Also made me appreciate my insistance on going through my check-list
even tho the tow plane was ready!