Old January 15th 05, 09:51 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Per your technique of 0 flap and 65 mph, what is happening while you
dissipate the additional speed?

I do the same in my Maule. The 65 mph is the approximate speed at touchdown, but
it may be as low as 60. The "three-point" is actually the upwind main and the
tailwheel. The speed is dissipated during rollout. Usually the downwind main
stays off the ground for a few seconds. I don't touch the brakes until it's
down. My usual airports have 2,000 to 3,000' runways, so there's no panic if I
use half of it.

Is it not possible to land slower using
judicious power to touch down well under control, and with little
flying speed to get rid of once you are firmly planted with all 3?

When you get right down to it, touching down at 60 to 65 mph with no flaps in a
Maule *is* touching down with little flying speed to get rid of. Stall speed
with 0 degrees of flaps is about 55 mph indicated (a bit more with higher
weight), so 65 is a pretty good target speed IMO.

Maules are not fond of wheel landings, especially during crosswind conditions. I
have landed mine with 40 degrees of flaps in a 15 knot direct crosswind. I tried
it once in a 20 knot crosswind at Luray Caverns and was unable to do it with
flaps. John Price and I tried to get down in 28 knots once, and couldn't do it
with no flaps.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.