Old August 20th 04, 08:32 AM
Roger Halstead

On 19 Aug 2004 16:09:22 -0700, (Mike) wrote:

I'm trying to get a good objective reading on what the actual hourly
cost is to operate a Kitfox, Avid, or RANS type aircraft with a Rotax
912/14 and 582. I know what it is to overhaul the engines, but I need
feedback from someone who has actually recorded the information and
can give me imperical information. Any takers???

I can't give you the figures for the Kitfox, but I can tell you that
you should figure the cost the way the FBO does and not rationalize
away part of the costs. Use everything, insurance, hanger,
maintenance, overhaul (averaged per hours), as well as gas and oil.
IOW take the *entire* cost of owning per year and then divide by the
hours you fly or plan to fly.

Quite a few do not figure hanger, insurance, and payments (or at least
interest), but if you didn't have the plane you wouldn't have the
costs.

Only when you sell it can you figure the difference between the
acquisition cost and what you get back In some cases it's a positive
figure.

I didn't have any interest so I can take the increase in value (if
any) when I sell the plane and then average it over the number of
hours flown and hopefully subtract it. To get the actual hourly cost
for owning and flying the plane for however many years I have kept it.

So, if I flew 1000 hours and sold the plane for 20,000 over what I
paid I could subtract $20 per hours from the flying cost. OTOH that is
not realistic while you are flying the plane. If you keep it for 10
years and fly 100 hours per year that extra $20 per hour subtracted at
the end really has no effect while you are flying.

As a "Wild Assed Guess" (WAG), I'd guess the Kitfox would run between
$20 to $30 per hours. We were flying a Cherokee 180 at $37 per hour
with 5 people flying it. Flying 130 hours per year the Deb was costing
me $79 per hour.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com