Old August 20th 04, 03:36 PM
Dave S

Is your neighbor logging the driving time in his logbook for the
furtherance of a commercial drivers license??

ducking
Dave

Bill Denton wrote:
Let's restate the problem so we can see some absurdities and discover why
lawyers have more money than the rest of us...

It is illegal in our hypothetical state to carry passengers in a motor
vehicle for compensation unless one has a chauffeur's license or a
commercial driver's license.

My girlfriend calls me and tells me her car has broken down. She asks me to
come pick her up.

I am otherwise occupied, so I ask my neighbor for assistance.

My neighbor does not own a car. Normally, he rents or borrows one when he
needs a car.

My neighbor doesn't have a chauffeur's license or a commercial driver's
license; he only has an ordinary driver's license.

I ask my neighbor if he will take my car and go pick up my girlfriend.

Is my neighbor's usage of my car "compensation", placing him in violation of
the licensing laws?

"Joe Johnson" wrote in message
m...

Last week, as I returned to my rental FBO after an evening local flight,

the

clerk on duty said an instructor and his student were stuck at an airport
about 40 minutes away. I spoke to the instructor on the phone and I

agreed

to fly up and bring them back. He mentioned that, of course, I wouldn't
have to pay for the aircraft time. Did I violate the terms of my PPL by
accepting free time in the airplane as "compensation" for picking them up
and bringing them back? Should I therefore have paid a proportional share
of the costs?