Old February 22nd 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah[_2_]

Default RAS SPAM - What can be done?

Thanks Dan, that was enough of a hint. Two things I discovered that may save others time.

1) Create an account at www.eternal-september.org and note the username & password they email you.

2) Create a thunderbird (or other reader) news folder account and select the encrypted SSL port 563 option and "always authenticate" checkbox. Save the changes and restart thunderbird. The next time it starts reading the group, you will be prompted for the name & password. Then you can view/subscribe to whatever group(s) you want.

--Sarah

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:40:02 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'm using news.eternal-september.org as was suggested to me several
years ago by a member of this group.Â* You must first go to their website
and create a free account, then you can set up that account in your
email client if it supports that.

That may or may not have answered your question, but this is an area
where I'm not well qualified.Â* I got a lot of help from the other member
of the group and I don't remember who that was.

On 2/22/2018 9:34 AM, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:11:27 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Allow me to correct my proceduÂ* I open the message, right click on
the reply to address, select "Create Filter From", and proceed as below.

On 2/22/2018 8:18 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
As I said earlier, I use Thunderbird as my email client and news
reader.Â* When I see a spam message, I simply right click on the
subject before opening the message, and select "Create Filter From".
Then I can use boolean logic (equals, contains, etc.) to create the
filter.Â* In the disposition section of the filter, I simply select
"Delete".Â* Problem solved.

BTW, I'm of Sicilian extraction.Â* My Dad could have taught me better
ways...

Cheers!

On 2/22/2018 8:09 AM, Dan Daly wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:00:04 AM UTC-5, OHM Ω
http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
We are seeing an increased amount of SPAM on RAS
(rec.aviation.soaring).Â* I have seen this before on other
rec.xxx.xxx network news groups and the group becomes basically 100%
SPAM.Â* A great shame.Â*Â* We need to fight to keep RAS a good place
for discussions.

Many groups have simply exited network news altogether and gone to
web based user group forums so that they can control who is allowed
to use the system (and kick idiots off).Â* A Google Group is such a
forum with controls (I don't recommend Yahoo groups).Â* Some forums
are created as money makers and can be filled with ads.Â* Bottom
line, this requires someone to create such a thing and administer it.