Old June 6th 04, 07:05 AM
Dave S

Silvadene is used in the professional management of major burns. Its
primary effect is that of an antibacterial - the silver content inhibits
bacterial growth on the infection prone burn surface. In the uses I have
used it for (by the pint) it doesnt do a whole lot to sooth, or cool, or
relieve pain (which on 3rd degree's are painless) but it does a fair
enough job for trying to inhibit bacterial growth on eschar (3rd degree
burnt skin) and deep partial thickness wounds (2nd degree).

I must say I've never heard of Kips burn salve. It is before my time. Im
sure it works great, Jim and others, but a long time ago "salves" fell
out of disfavor for burn management and as a result the product in all
likelyhood simply ceased to exist.

Dave

Thomas O'Grady wrote:
In article ,
Jim Weir wrote:

Back when I was working for the airlines, we used a burn salve called KIP
(Kip
Inc, North Hollywood CA) in both the airborne medicine chest and the hangar
toolboxes. It was distributed by an outfit called Swift Laboratories (also
in
NH CA).

It is the greatest thing since sliced bread and bottled beer for the usual
slashes and gashes we get bending wrenches on airplanes, but I'm down to the
last couple of squeezes out of this 40 year old tube of goop I've had all
those
years.

I cannot say what you had, but Paul Anton suggested Silvadene and I
agree that this is absolutely the best stuff around for burns:

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/r.../sil1404.shtml

It is a white cream, but it turns grey in the sun, due to the silver in
it.

Tom OGrady