Old December 21st 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Default Jim Weir - desulfating battery charger

jerry wass wrote:
Don L n FTW wrote:
"Ernest Christley" wrote in message

Jim, that was an excellent article in last month's kit plane. I'll
be getting the parts together to build one here shortly.

There was also a nice article in Sport Aviation (for a change), that
actually showed how to build something. In this case a battery
desulfator.

The question is, how feasible would it be to combine the two
circuits, making the circuit would go into desulfating mode When the
battery is charged?

Why make it?? If the battery is run down, charge it with a cheap Sears
charger and then use VDC maintainer...
See : http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12117.htm
I use them in all of my RV and AC batteries... You can find them at
"Battery Plus" stores and "Camping World" RV stores....

Lotsa times if the battery is sulfated, IT WON'T TAKE A CHARGE --

the cheap sears(ptooey) btry charger won't charge it OR pick up the
sulfate compounds lying on the bottom of the case & re-combine it
back into H2SO4.

And none of the chargers mentioned will do a thing if you don't have an
outlet to plug it in.

The beauty of the charger that Jim gave us was that it is solar
powered!! My battery cover will be a solar panel. I just thought it
would be nice to throw the desulfator in there for when the photons are
being turned away because the batter is full of electrons. Better to
invite them in and have them do something useful.