Old July 10th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default Gliderport Fined $9,000 over Use of 123.3Mhz

All,

I've successfully completed the license process. It was just about as
horrible as you might expect. The online form is like eight pages
(tabs) long -- I think it is the same one they use if you want to
start your own radio station. Here are some things you need to know,
which I found after lots of back and forth with the FCC:

1. The correct Radio and Service Code is indeed AF -- Aeronautucal
and fixed.
2. You must specify exactly one frequency, such as 123.3. Even
though 123.5 is also authorized for soaring communications, if you
want to transmit on it you will need a second license. Once license
will, however, cover a couple of handhelds.
3. When you specify the frequency, use the "lower" box, not the
"carrier" or any of the other entry fields.
4. The emission code is 6K00A3E. Really.
5. You have to specify the output power of your handheld. Mine is
5W.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"