Old June 2nd 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

Default Altimeter Setting

On Jun 2, 12:38*am, (Alan) wrote:
In article 150flivver writes:

On May 31, 10:14=A0pm, GM wrote:

Rolf, if memory serves me right, the FARs are clear about it: setting
to MSL is required.

I don't recall any regulation requiring the altimeter to be set to QNH
unless the particular operation requires it (eg. an instrument
approach).

* 14 CFR 91.121 * (aka FAR 91.121)

* For extra credit, note 91.121(a)(1)(i) which says you must use the setting
from the local radio source in preference to setting to the field elevation.
As was pointed out in this group a couple years ago, the examiner in the back
seat knows that regulation.

* * * * Alan

Yeah, but as for 91.121 you're not maintaining any particular cruising
altitude or flight level when operating a glider. I certainly agree
that cross country gliders should be operating off QNH but if you're
flying locally, you should have the option of setting QFE. I fly a
towplane and use QFE 99% of the time--any position calls I make I
convert to MSL (I have a table to reference on my legboard). If I
have to go and retrieve a landout, I'll use QNH.