Old February 23rd 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default PowerFlarm and transponders while towing?

At SoaringNV's staff meeting yesterday, we discussed the PowerFlarm
and transponder issue. It was quickly decided that having the glider
transponder on STBY until release would not be workable due to the
fact we often have non-pilots sitting behind the main instrument
panel.

So, yesterday we tried having the tow plane squawk standby until tow
release, then switch to ALT. This works fine in terms of not having
the transponders interfere with each other . . . but does nothing to
resolve the PF beng in constant alarm due to the collision it thinks
might occur at any time between tug and glider.

But, this thread brought elicited a private response reminding me what
I already knew, and that is that the FARs require a transponder be on
at all times if its installed, except as directed by ATC etc. ATC will
almost always direct that all but the "lead" aircraft squawk standby
when formation flying, something that we do often while towing.

To try and resolve this I called Reno Approach who quickly shuffled me
off to NorCal Approach. Talked with a front line manager there who
advised us to do exactly what I suggested. i.e. Leave the tug
transponder squawking STBY until tow release and then don't forget to
switch to ALT. Now he did say that even if we left both on ALT, they
would probably still be able to see us*. But then added that the data
displayed would be confused and would potentially cause conflict
alarms as well.

*A secondary concern is that TCAS equipped aircraft will get good data
from our transponder/s.

bumper
zz
Minden