Old May 13th 15, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default alternative to iGlide for iPhone (6 plus)

Funny. I find iGlide to be excellent (particularly the UI) and have found very few bugs (both were addresses within days for me) after using it extensively for over 2 years (so far) in numerous contests and cross country flights and in many environments (mountains, flatlands, complex airspace). In my experience, some people just do not get iOS fundementals. Could this, perhaps, be the case for you? What did you not like?

I also have extensive UI design background. I find the iGlide UI to be far superior to any other small portable device soaring software including XC Soar. It requires far less steps to do the majority of critical ot common functions and most pilots I have spoken with find it intuitive and simple to use. This is just my opinion of course.

I have extensive experience with WinPilot, Strepla, SeeYou (Oudie 1 and 2) and XC Soar as well on multiple devices.

I am a member of a firm which primarily consults (and also helps develop) custom mobile applications (typically financial services). UI differentiators (IP, etc) is usually a critical topic.

Please list here (since you flamed it so sharply) all the bugs you found with iGlide, especially the ones the developer acknowledged as "known" bugs. Since you bought the $39 version of iGlide, clearly you have no experience with tasking, etc., correct?

If you want to to talk about terrible UI, I give you SeeYou mobile. Would you not agree?

Then again, UI is a fairly subjective subject and a matter of personal preference.

Can you provide an example of soaring UI's that you approve of?

Thanks!