Old August 24th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Sailplane Canopy

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 8:15:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ross I'm not certain what canopy is on you're Libelle. Is that the low profile canopy option Libelle canopy? Is that a canopy for a different type? I want to install the same as you've got. Looks better than the standard Libelle canopy! Yeah if you could tell me the canopy you used and I could get one for less than $1,000 I may go that way and you could give me tips on installation if there are important tricks or particular nuances of such.

Hi Brian,

Yes, the Libelle was offered with two canopy options. I believe they were "Standard" (now referred to as the "racing" canopy) and the "Tall", which is what most have gotten over the years. I agree with you that the "racing" looks a lot "sexier". Fitting in can be an issue for some, but I fit in the FJ-1 (made up of Libelle parts) with its racing canopy, seat back still installed, with a chute on. I am 6'2" tall but have a bit more of my height in my legs, so this gives me a bit more head room, but a tougher fit under the panel for my legs.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect Ross used a Mecaplex canopy, so not an under $1K option.

Steve Leonard