Old March 3rd 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

"Stefan" wrote in message
Jay Honeck schrieb:

Of course it never dawned upon you that the governement was not "the
French"? Ever heard of something like the Résistence?

Good grief, are you really so dim? It takes an awful lot of courage to do
what they did. I suspect the vast majority of those who enjoy dumb jokes
about "the French" wouldn't have that courage.

When my grandfather was shot down over Sampigny he went into a church and
gave the priest the cigarettes from his evasion kit to find him help. He
had flak buried in his skull.

When the Gestapo showed up a few hours later, they were smoking the
cigarettes my grandfather had given the priest. When they moved him to the
railroad to take him to Germany, his German captors pointed weapons at the
citizens who were trying to take a stab at him with a pitchforks. Not a
whole lot of love for the French in my grandfather's house.

Although the other waistgunner was kept hidden by a French family until the
end of the war and the pilot evaded with help from the Resistance, they
certainly weren't all so courageous.

-c