Old January 31st 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default ASW20 or LS6

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:32:43 +0000, Roger Burghall wrote:

At 13:41 31 January 2011, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:19:41 -0800, Mike the Strike wrote:

I think the spin reputation of the ASW-20 is a bit undeserved. Mine
behaved perfectly predictably once I got the CG forward of the aft

limit
where the previous owner had left it! The LS-6 does have a narrower
cockpit, but this should only be a problem if you have really broad
shoulders. I suggest you try both before deciding. There isn't much
difference in performance between the two.

Mine departed twice during roughly 45 degree banked thermalling turns at

around 45 kts in flap #3 (zero flap deflection). There was no buffet or
warning - it just went. I wondered if it was just something my glider
did. I also thought it might be due to micro-turbulence in those two
thermals, so I tried repeating the turn near home at the end of the day
at the same and at even lower airspeeds she just flew smoothly round the

circle.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Mine stalls at 40 knots wings level. At 45 degrees it would therefore
stall at 48 knots, and (even assuming your bank was a bit less than it
looked) you were already stalled.

I have found its handling impeccable (well, so far!) but wouldn't
thermal below 50 with neutral flap. 45 is too slow even with thermalling
flap.

Mine was better at low speed than that - was quite happy at 42 kt in
thermal flap and was generally well-behaved in a thermal between 45 and
50 kts in zero flap (#3) - I generally thermaled in zero flap because it
felt so much more responsive: IIRC it stalled at around 37-38. Certainly
it wouldn't sit down above 34 kts in landing flap.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK