Old October 30th 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default When to descend II

Dan Luke wrote:
You're 4 miles SW of ROYCE.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0710/00198IL12R.PDF

Approach says "Cessna '1GS,cross ROYCE at or above 2 thousand, cleared visual
approach runwy 12R. Contact the tower on 118.7."

On initial contact, Tower says "Cessna '1GS, runwy 12R, cleared to land."

Do you still have to cross ROYCE at 2,000 or can you head for the numbers and
come on down?

From 4SW of Royce...

I'd go to Royce as instructed, and begin my visual descent after
crossing Royce, making my right turn inbound, and visually identifying
the airport.

Crossing Royce @ 2000 doesn't make for an uncomfortable descent, and
it's not so far out of the way, so I don't think I'd bother to question
the clearance.

If things weren't busy, I'd probably just ask if I can head for the
numbers once I was on with the tower.