Old July 8th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

Default GPS for retrieval only??

Knowing the GPS coordinates is only half the battle. Knowing how to get
there is the other half. I canoed to a park once and gave my coordinates to
my wife, who then used a mapping program to locate the spot - which she then
drove to. Only problem was that it was on the other side of the river. She
could look across the river and see us.

You will probably find that GPS units with built in detailed maps will make
you wish you had one years earlier. In fact, the pilot being rescued may be
willing to invest in a detailed GPS for you so that he does not have to sit
as long in the hot sun.

Almost any GPS will allow you to enter coordinates and then point you in
the right direction. It will also give you the distance.

Colin