Old July 8th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Default GPS for retrieval only??

Colin
Does it mean the units you are talking about, of around $300, will do
the job? If so which of those would be best. My wife is planing to buy
a unit this week. The brand is Nextar regular for $350.00. Do you
think it will do the job that you mentioned?
Udo
Here are some of the specs.
Main Features:
*3.5" color display with touch screen
*Built-in speaker
*Built-in GPS receiver SIRF III
*Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
*SD card slot for MP3 play
*Turn by turn voice prompts
*Automatically recalculate the route when
missing a turn
*2D or 3D map viewing mode
*Day and night mode
*Speed alert
*English, Spanish and French supported
*Text to Speech (TTS) - Clearly pronounces
instructions including street names (English)
*1.6 million points of interest (POI)
*Preloaded with US and Canada maps
*Navteq on board

On Jul 8, 11:45 am, "COLIN LAMB" wrote:
Knowing the GPS coordinates is only half the battle. Knowing how to get
there is the other half. I canoed to a park once and gave my coordinates to
my wife, who then used a mapping program to locate the spot - which she then
drove to. Only problem was that it was on the other side of the river. She
could look across the river and see us.

You will probably find that GPS units with built in detailed maps will make
you wish you had one years earlier. In fact, the pilot being rescued may be
willing to invest in a detailed GPS for you so that he does not have to sit
as long in the hot sun.

Almost any GPS will allow you to enter coordinates and then point you in
the right direction. It will also give you the distance.

Colin