Old July 9th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

Default GPS for retrieval only??

Hi Udo:

I did a Google search for different Nextar models, but I never found a list
of the features -just selling highlights. Unlike the handhelds, which all
allow you to enter various coordinates, the auto gps units are often not too
concerned about some of those features, since most people simply enter an
address.

So, you must do your homework to make sure the particular unit you are
looking at has the features you want. I purchased an auto gps a few yers
ago when they were in their infancy. I figured they would become obsolete
quickly, so I purchased the cheapest Garmin I could find. It did not have
coordinate input. I need to enter an address. I have about 10 handheld
units so I can live without it. I can also work around the deficiency as I
carry a laptop with a mapping program. I can enter the coordinates into the
mapping program and it will "synthesize" an address, which I can then enter
into the GPS. I have used this frequently, although I will probably buy a
newer unit soon. I saved enough in the original purchase that I can
purchase a new one and still have a lower outlay than if I had purchased a
full featured one originally.

I suspect that features are disabled to force you to purchase the more
expensive models - but competition should solve that.

As others have mentioned, you should make sure your model will accept
coordinates entered in various formats - and make sure your wife can operate
it. Do not expect that a software upgrade will correct any deficiencies of
your purchased model. Manufacturers rarely are interested in upgrading
something they have already sold.

Colin