Old June 1st 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default Mapping Glider Locations

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message

....Snip... Note that you do not need to be a ham to use this in your
glider. It needs to be "operated" by a ham, which means the ham would
install it and set up the software. The software controls the
transmitter, so if the ham sets up the software, he is controlling the
transmitter, even if not present.

Colin,

That appears to me to really be stretching the rules. Does the glider pilot
ever turn off the system? Isn't the glider pilot operating the system when
he turns it back on?

This my be in compliance with the "letter of the law"; however, it seems
beyond the rule's intent. Has the FCC officially ruled on this; or, are you
not asking the question for which you can't stand the answer.

Respectfully,

Wayne
W7ADK
http://www.soaridaho.com/