Old June 12th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

Default Mayday in Utah

Tim Taylor wrote:
On Jun 12, 9:29 am, Scott wrote:

I can understand the precautionary Mayday if you are not sure you are
going to make a good landing and no one knows where you are. Often I
can be anywhere in 90,000 square miles out here. Without an ELT
signal or spot they will find my bones ten years from now when a
hunter stumbles on the glider. I think a Mayday with coordinates
would be a good idea. Yes I fly with an ELT, but it has to work.

Where is Steve Fossett?

May PAN PAN might be more appropriate. I believe MAYDAY is supposed to
be used when loss of property or life is imminent. Pan Pan is for
"urgent" situations. I realize it's a judgement call, but I'd use PAN
PAN if I was lost or something, and MAYDAY when a wing or tail feathers
departed the plane. Maybe the Feds should add an Oh S***! phrase since
all one has to do is remember to key the PTT line because Oh S*** comes
out without even the slightest thought as "Now what were those proper
FAA phrases?"

Scott