Old June 13th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Mayday in Utah

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
On Jun 12, 3:28 pm, Cliff Hilty wrote:
I brought this up before but got lost in the thread shift: What do you
think the "official" position on activating a PLB or similar device
prior to making a questionable out landing? And then if everything goes
well deactivating itafter landing?

I think those folks ought to expect to be billed for any SAR service
expense incurred on their behalf as a result of non-emergency
activation.

I have no problem donating time and resources to searching for
bretheren in actual peril, or even those who think they're in peril,
because I know that some day that might be me out there. However, I
think it'd be pretty seriously demotivating to get regularly called
out and then stood down because of an alert sent up by someone who
thought that there was the possibility that they might soon be in
peril, maybe. Demotivating events like that take their toll on SAR
groups, making it harder to attract and retain qualified and dedicated
volunteers.

Thanks, Bob K.

OK, that's useful information, Bob. What about using a rented sat-phone to
call in an apology to the SAR folks after turning the PLB off. Is there any
central number to call?

Bill D