Old June 13th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mayday in Utah

On Jun 12, 12:22 am, wrote:
Today (June 11) Oakland Center asked the Global Hawk Test Team to help
with a Mayday call from a motorglider in Utah. The team was flying a
new Global Hawk somewhat above 50,000 feet north of Edwards AFB and
was 8 hours into a 30 hour mission to test the sensor suite when OAK
Center made the request. Center reported a Mayday from a "powered
glider with a failed engine" and asked if the Hawk could join in the
search and rescue. Fortunately good news followed that the
motorglider had safely landed.

You all be careful out there. We don't fly Hawks every day. It is
better to have a SPOT and/or an ELT.

Soar safe, have fun, go fast and far,
Jim Payne

JP - Now that we have been subjected to the customary RAS
Rampant Aviation Speculation

Can you tell us what actually transpired (why he called MayDay) ?
Thanks !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"