Old June 13th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Transponder antenna - blade vs stub monopole

Any aerodynamic thoughts on the two available choices?

My ASH-26E came with the stub mounted just behind the wheel. Every
now and then it catches on the trailer, so I just straighten it, no
big deal.

An ASW-24B in our club is about to get a transponder and the factory
recommends the installation to be part way up around the fuselage
above the rear gear door hinge - looks like just behind the oxygen
bottle.

The blade looks cool, but is it really any better aerodynamically than
a $20 (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/
ted_transponder.php) stub?

-Tom