Old June 13th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

Default Mayday in Utah

At 13:38 13 June 2008, COLIN LAMB wrote:

I have scraped off enough pilots who did not call for help that I prefer
it
the other way around.

I'm afraid I don't understand this. Would the crash
have been any less severe if the pilot you scraped off
had called for help beforehand?

The point here seems to be that the pilot's call
for assistance wasn't based on the lack of a place
to land (obviously such a place was handy) but on
his lack of engine power. Given the positive outcome
it's sort of funny, and it gives us purists a chance to
snicker at the powerglider brigade. How much of our
snickering is rooted in envy is left as an exercise for
the student.

Jim Beckman