Old June 24th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

Default BNC installation

You really want that thing rattling about inside the fuselage? With
all the work you have already done on the fuselage, is it THAT much
harder to replace the entire cable?

Anyway, you could have found a much less expensive crimper at an
electronics store (Fry's, Radio Shack, Newark, etc.). I suspect that
the only ones who solders anymore is the military, and me sometimes--
and yes, I hate it too--even though I have a considerably less
expenseive crimper.

On Jun 24, 7:28*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I'm about ready to splice on a good fin & boom to a badly broken
Puchacz fuselage. Made a clean cut 56" aft of the aft lift fittings,
glued in a sleeve, jigged up the two pieces (both sides straight, top
& bottom straight, fin vertical, lift fittings horizontal), spliced
the push-rod, hooked up the TE tube, now all I have to do is splice
the radio cable, right? *Always hated trying to solder that little
center post on the BNC, especially working inside a fuselage half with
short leads. Found a BNC crimper from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for
about $200 bucks with proper die and a hand full of BNC's. Works slick
as snot, just slide on the sleeve, trim the cable as before, slip on
the center post and crimp it, then slide on the BNC body, shove the
sleeve down over the exposed shield and crimp it also. That's it, all
done!
I installed one male and one female connector (legal in all states).
Some may wish to use two females with a male to male coupler (only
legal in some states).
JJ