Old June 27th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default BNC installation

On Jun 26, 10:40*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
On Jun 25, 11:38*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Make sure they have gold plated pins for corrosion

resistance.
I'd also put a sleeve of heat shrink over the connectors
to keep everything sealed from humidity/moisture etc. Some of the very
high-shrink type that fit over the connectors but shrink to the coax.

Darryl - Good idea to use gold plated pins for corrosion resistance.
However,
I am unsure if I would put the heat shrink over the connectors. *While
it might
keep dust and dirt out, it will also serve to keep any condensation
inside and not
allow evaporation, in effect accelerating corrosion.

Instead, I use a dielectric compound like Dow Corning #4 (http://www.skygeek.com/dc4.html).
It keeps the moisture out, prevents corrosion and doesn't dry up. *It
is also especially
good on trailer light connectors.

My $0.02.

- John "67" DeRosa

PS - If you must use heat shrink, avoid the cheap Radio Shack stuff
like the plague. *It doesn't
shrink enough and becomes very stiff. *Find a source for good quality
heat shrink and be willing
to pay $2-$4 per 3 foot piece.

To add one more penny's worth: If the connection is a straight
section that won't need flexibility, the dielectric compound for the
internals of the connector, then the high end heat shrink tubing with
the sealer/adhesive coating inside is the cat's meow.