Old June 28th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default BNC installation

To add one more penny's worth: *If the connection is a straight
section that won't need flexibility, the dielectric compound for the
internals of the connector, then the high end heat shrink tubing with
the sealer/adhesive coating inside is the cat's meow.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the comments about gold plating. It has got me thinking
(ouch).

Next question: Being a person that likes to frequent hamfests (great
stuff for electronics nerds like myself - see http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html
for details), I see lots of RF connectors for sale. It appears that
the connector plating material of choice is not gold but silver.
Maybe it is the cost savings but it seems counter-productive to use
silver as it obviously tarnishes quite quickly (and I assume that is
bad). Being a digital (non-RF) Electrical Engineer by training I
don't know enough about the qualities of the various plating materials
to hazard an educated opinion. Any ideas?