Old October 1st 20, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Rope Breaks (Grilling sacred cows)

Jonathan St. Cloud wrote on 9/29/2020 2:10 PM:
On Monday, September 28, 2020 at 8:51:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Does anybody have a first hand account of a rope break in which a canopy was factually damaged because the pilot did not make an immediate turn to the left or right?

Please note:This is not my theory. I am only relating what is being taught at a particular club (not the club where I fly now).

Before I turned right or left I would put the nose down!

I've always been towed faster than best glide speed, except for one or two times
when ballasted. If the rope breaks or is released by the tow plane, I typically
raise the nose to slow down to best glide speed - definitely NOT lower it. There
is an exception for very powerful towplanes - 1000 fpm rate of climb powerful -
where the nose would have to be lowered.