Old April 28th 21, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On 4/27/2021 6:48 PM, waremark wrote:
Well I remember reading an article by Klaus Ohlmann after his first distance record in the Andes. That one was in a Stemme, and I remember he said if he had wanted to use the engine he would have had to land first and give it time to warm up, because it was too cold to use after a long time at altitude.

Right, the oil solidifies in the cold and it will not start...
Don't know why that particular oil was required, but IIRC it wasn't
possible to change.

So a convenience feature, not a safety feature.

Yup.