Old July 3rd 12, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glen Kelley[_2_]

Default The "offical" LXNAV V7 thread

I understand some of your concerns, but my partner and I still think this is the best vario we have ever used - and our prior was a 302. Once the vario is set up and the settings saved, the only thing you should lose on power down are Mc Setting, bugs and ballast. These are not too hard to deal with. We power ours up 10 min prior to takeoff, configure, and then leave on for the duration.

Our current settings are

phase Cruise Climb
needle Relative Netto TE
big number Netto Average
small number altitude altitude
averager 20 sec
smart filter 2
other important settings?

TE 3 sec
Cruise/Climb on a switch on the stick

We would like to see the ability to change the filtering speed between cruise and climb. Cruise should be on a slower response. We also use a chopped tone in climb mode and a solid tone in cruise mode to help hear the difference between the two modes.

The vario is not perfect but seems to be getting steadily better. We started with 1.97, so no clue prior to that. We treat this as a smart vario and air data feed to SeeYou Mobile. It would be generally a waste to put nav data up on the limited display space. That is what SYM is for. However, it might be nice to add a third (NAV) display in the cruise/climb rotary. So now it would become cruise/climb/nav and the nav display could allow you to use bearing and distance to the nav point - something like that.
etc