Old September 27th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Ash

Default TE probe up or down?

In article
,
Andy wrote:

On Sep 26, 12:13*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
It's raining at the field today so here is a serious soaring question
to ponder:

Why be so limited in your thinking? What's wrong with sideways?
Then you can ponder which of those 2 options depending on you
thermalling direction preference.

I point mine up so I'm less likely to bend it.

Ironic how you accuse Kirk of limited thinking and yet you yourself use
a technique which gives you a mere four total options.

When the time comes to insert my TE probe, I get out my iPhone and have
it generate a random number in the range [0, 2pi). I then orient my TE
probe to the angle that this represents in radians. In this manner I
eliminate human bias and therefore increase thermalling performance.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth