Old February 6th 12, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Multiple Battery Setup

Andy wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:10 pm, jcarlyle wrote:
I bet there isn't a glider pilot out there who
doesn't look at his battery voltage at least several times during each
flight, and who doesn't understand switches...

I'll take your bet on understanding switches. How many glider pilots
do you think understand the difference between the AC and DC rating of
a switch and select one with an approprate DC rating? How many know
why the ratings are very different? How many glider pilots know the
inrush current of their installed avionics? How many know if the the
load has a significant inductive component?

It's only a switch after all.

Andy

Andy,

Mea culpa - in my attempt to tread a fine line between brevity and
excruciating detail I omitted the phrase "how to use" between the
words "understand" and "switches" in the last sentence of my post. I
also omitted giving precise instructions on how to switch over from
the supplying battery to the unused battery, and I didn't explain the
need to size the batteries to avionics current draw, expected
temperatures, battery age, etc.

Others kindly added some of the information I omitted regarding the
last two points, thus furthering the conversation. It would have been
nice if you'd done the same, rather than attempt to pick a fight. But,
I guess you're not one of those people who share.

I'm not going to provide answers the questions you raised, even though
I could. I'll just say that for those who are interested in this
topic, if you don't understand the questions Andy raised, then don't
attempt to select components and wire your glider yourself. Rather,
use this thread as a rough guide, get professional advice (Radio Shack
doesn't count, spend a few bucks at an avionics firm), and avoid the
horror of fire in the air.

-John