Old May 1st 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Most Landouts in One Day

Years ago, on a cross country flight out of Minden NV, I had to land
out at a crop duster airstrip ( the welcoming reception was
outstanding, great guys out there). I was retrieved in due time, and
while crossing the Pinenut Mountains, we (the tow plane and I )
encountered very severe turbulence. I realized suddenly that I was in
free flight, having come unhooked from the tow plane without having
felt a nudge, bump, pull or anything else. It did take me a second or
so to realize that the tow plane was getting away from me, the tow
rope trailing behind him. The tow plane and I both turned around and
got back to the duster strip. The tow pilot landed just ahead of me,
we rehooked, took off and crossed the mountains again, this time
without a problem.. I had two landouts in the same afternoon, both at
the same airstrip.

Cheers, Charles