Old September 7th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Maiden flight, N888LP LP-49 Glider

On Sep 6, 9:03*pm, Jim Meade wrote:
Today was the maiden flight of N888LP, the LP-49 experimental glider
built by Walt Bybee and purchased by me earlier this year.

It flew like a dream. *Walt did a superb job of building it.

The first flight was a tow to 3,000 AGL on a poor lift day. *It was
very well behaved on tow. *After release, I did mostly slow flight,
approaches to stalls and turns of various banks. *I did not raise the
gear or deploy the flaps. *Althought there was no lift, I felt like it
had a low sink rate. *I'll know better after I fly it a few more
times.

The aircraft is rigged very well. *Stick forces are light. *Everything
is what you'd expect. *I feel like it likes a fair amount of rudder.

I will be busy for a few weeks, but hope to get it back up again
before the season is over in eastern Iowa.

jim,

good to hear that you finally got the LP-49 in the air. fly it over to
ames sometime this fall for supper, on me!