Old February 16th 18, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default Minimum number of flights for winch sign off?

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 03:59:27 -0800, davidlawley wrote:

I used to think that, overcoming my fear made me a much better pilot,
took about 6 training flights, plus a couple of simulated cable breaks.i
learnt to fly much better highly modified circuits too.
Only time I would be reluctant to winch is in calm conditions with full
water.

To put numbers on winch training, I soloed on my 79th launch, taking most
of one summer season, flying only on weekends and a bit under 17 hours
air time, flying a mix of ASK-21, G103 and Puchacz. I think the higher
number of launches to solo compared with aerotows is a positive benefit,
simply because students have flown a larger number of landings by the
time they solo.

The rule of thumb we use for ab initio winch training is that the number
of flights to solo is your age in years plus 30: I was in my early 50s at
the time.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org