Old March 4th 20, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flarmnet

Martin, the issue is dependance on an alert vs scan diligence. I fly pipeline patrol in the winter in and out of naval moa’s. I have dual garmin 430’s with adsb in out and every bell n whistle one could dream of including audible warning annunciation. The problem comes when encountering someone who’s adsb is inop or not on etc. I have encountered naval training flights on three separate occasions who had no signal presence.. I found them in my scan and avoided. The problem becomes a real one and is becoming more so every day when folks are subconsciously “trusting” their flarm to alert them.
Dan