Old August 4th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Default FAA Rejects Farnsworth Lantern Test

Greg Copeland wrote:

The really irritating thing here is, I know I can fly safe at night. I
know this because I did well with my CFI. I just may not be able to
safely fly under light gun, I really don't know; though I suspect I can
tell the difference. The green and white are the only colors with which I
have any trouble.

green and white are the two with which most people have trouble (color
vision deficient *and* normal vision folks as well...);

As to whether or not it makes sense, you might enjoy (and learn a few
useful things from) the following document:

http://www.aopa.com.au/infocentre/to...lourvision.pdf

....so I got my waiver via the light gun test (I flunk Ishihara,
Farnsworth D15, etc.); honestly, luck might have helped a bit
(I called 'white' when I saw 'green' and vice versa and it
worked :-); which means that I'll never have to take the test
again for any class of medical (I wave the piece of paper in front of
the AME each time I renew the medical, maybe that's why they call it
a 'waiver' :-)) and I happily fly at night without any problem.

--Sylvain