Old April 2nd 18, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

"When I bought my SZD glider, I found that the previous owner had removed ~10 lbs of factory installed lead ballast from the nose. The ballast mount location was hidden behind an access panel."

Was the change at least properly done and recorded? Anyone who makes a significant change in the C of G by doing something like that without recording the work and accurately updating the weight & balance and loading information deserves to be horsewhipped.

We've got one 55 in my club, fortunately it hasn't been hacked up like the accident glider was. I was relieved that the owners aren't faced with the need to get glass work done right at the beginning of the season.